The Meath Hospital was founded in 1753 to provide health care for the poor of Dublin’s Liberties. Funded entirely by voluntary subscriptions and donations from prominent citizens of the day the hospital would attract some of Ireland’s most celebrated physicians and surgeons and become an internationally recognised centre for the advancement of medical science.
In 1998, along with the Adelaide and the National Children’s Hospital the Meath moved to the new Hospital at Tallaght now known as Tallaght Hospital.
The Meath Foundation has evolved from its former role as the Board of the Meath Hospital to a situation where it nominates one person as a Non Executive Director to the Board of Tallaght Hospital
The Board of Directors and members of The Meath Foundation include former staff of the Meath Hospital, Members of the Foundation, staff of Tallaght Hospital and members of the community.
The three main components of care in a major teaching hospital are Clinical, Teaching and Research. The Foundation was founded to support the provision of health care research and education in the health care area. Since 2002 98 grants have been awarded in the amount of €3.8m.
The Foundation passionately believes in the value of healthcare research and education. It is the platform on which better services, better care and better patient outcomes in a safe environment all sit. We are committed to continuing the funding of research and education in healthcare that will help to develop the necessary skills to transform our health service and deliver a safer and better quality service to our patient.